The former congressman did not run in the 2025 national elections and no longer holds office, so he did not participate in the second impeachment vote in 2026The former congressman did not run in the 2025 national elections and no longer holds office, so he did not participate in the second impeachment vote in 2026

FACT CHECK: Senator Migz Zubiri’s father Joe did not vote against Sara Duterte impeachment

2026/05/22 22:06
3 min read
For feedback or concerns regarding this content, please contact us at [email protected]

Claim: Former Bukidnon 3rd District Representative Jose Maria “Joe” Zubiri Jr. voted against the impeachment of Vice President Sara Duterte.

Rating: FALSE

Why we fact-checked this: Various posts making this claim have circulated on Facebook, with the most popular post from the page “Damulognon TV” garnering 6,300 reactions, 275 shares, and 1,800 comments as of writing. Identical posts have also been published by Facebook users through their personal accounts.

The posts use the same caption to claim that the father — who once served as Bukidnon governor and later congressman — is more principled than his son, Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri, because of their differing political stances.

“The father: Cong. Jose Maria Zubiri, Jr. the legendary leader of Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines, voted against the impeachment of Vice Pres. Sara Zimmerman Duterte. The son: Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri opted to align himself with the camp of Sen. Vicente Sotto III, whose membership is perceived to be lap dogs of Pres. Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and former Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez,” the caption says.

A photo of the older Zubiri is attached to the posts. Comments on the posts show that users believe the claim to be true, criticizing Senator Zubiri.

The facts: The former congressman no longer holds office, since he did not run in the 2025 national elections. This means he did not participate in the House of Representative’s second impeachment vote in 2026, as the false posts imply.

When it comes to the first impeachment in 2025, it is true that the older Zubiri did not sign that first complaint. But there was no plenary vote in the House before the complaint was transmitted to the Senate, so the posts’ claim is still inaccurate.

Since then, no posts from former congressman Zubiri’s social media or media reports have been published about his stance on the Vice President’s impeachment.

The Zubiris: The false posts began circulating amid heightened tensions in the Senate. After a coup installed Duterte ally Alan Peter Cayetano as Senate president on May 11, rumors of another coup have been circulating as senators struggle for control of the upper house ahead of the Vice President’s impeachment trial in July.

Days after the younger Zubiri had abstained from voting for the Senate presidency, he joined the minority floor on May 18. This made the split between the majority and minority floors into a slim 13-11, if Senator Bato dela Rosa — who is now a “fugitive from justice” running from an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court, according to the Department of Justice — is to be counted as part of the majority.

Audrey Tan Zubiri, who is Senator Zubiri’s wife and successor to the older Zubiri’s congressional seat, had also abstained from the House’s vote on Duterte’s second impeachment.

Debunked: Rappler has debunked other false claims on Duterte’s impeachment:

  • FACT CHECK: World Bank did not testify in House impeachment hearings vs VP Sara
  • FACT CHECK: No SC order blocking 2026 impeachment proceedings vs Duterte
  • FACT CHECK: De Lima not ‘caught’ giving Madriaga scripted statements vs VP Sara
  • FACT CHECK: Contrary to claim, Sotto says Senate is ‘ready’ to act on VP Sara impeachment
  • FACT CHECK: SC did not disbar Batangas representative Gerville Luistro     

– Shay Du/Rappler.com

Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at [email protected]. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.

Market Opportunity
Notcoin Logo
Notcoin Price(NOT)
$0.0004595
$0.0004595$0.0004595
-0.43%
USD
Notcoin (NOT) Live Price Chart

AI Strategy: Powered 24/7

AI Strategy: Powered 24/7AI Strategy: Powered 24/7

Generate automated strategies using natural language

Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.
Tags:

You May Also Like

NuScale Power (SMR) Stock Jumps on Amazon Deal — One Bigger Catalyst Still Ahead

NuScale Power (SMR) Stock Jumps on Amazon Deal — One Bigger Catalyst Still Ahead

TLDR NuScale Power (SMR) stock jumped after Amazon signed agreements to use SMR technology to power AI data centers Romania’s Final Investment Decision in February
Share
Coincentral2026/05/24 17:29
UK crypto holders brace for FCA’s expanded regulatory reach

UK crypto holders brace for FCA’s expanded regulatory reach

The post UK crypto holders brace for FCA’s expanded regulatory reach appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. British crypto holders may soon face a very different landscape as the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) moves to expand its regulatory reach in the industry. A new consultation paper outlines how the watchdog intends to apply its rulebook to crypto firms, shaping everything from asset safeguarding to trading platform operation. According to the financial regulator, these proposals would translate into clearer protections for retail investors and stricter oversight of crypto firms. UK FCA plans Until now, UK crypto users mostly encountered the FCA through rules on promotions and anti-money laundering checks. The consultation paper goes much further. It proposes direct oversight of stablecoin issuers, custodians, and crypto-asset trading platforms (CATPs). For investors, that means the wallets, exchanges, and coins they rely on could soon be subject to the same governance and resilience standards as traditional financial institutions. The regulator has also clarified that firms need official authorization before serving customers. This condition should, in theory, reduce the risk of sudden platform failures or unclear accountability. David Geale, the FCA’s executive director of payments and digital finance, said the proposals are designed to strike a balance between innovation and protection. He explained: “We want to develop a sustainable and competitive crypto sector – balancing innovation, market integrity and trust.” Geale noted that while the rules will not eliminate investment risks, they will create consistent standards, helping consumers understand what to expect from registered firms. Why does this matter for crypto holders? The UK regulatory framework shift would provide safer custody of assets, better disclosure of risks, and clearer recourse if something goes wrong. However, the regulator was also frank in its submission, arguing that no rulebook can eliminate the volatility or inherent risks of holding digital assets. Instead, the focus is on ensuring that when consumers choose to invest, they do…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/17 23:52
Rubio Drops Iran Breakthrough Bombshell as Nuclear Deal Talks Heat Up

Rubio Drops Iran Breakthrough Bombshell as Nuclear Deal Talks Heat Up

Rubio Signals Breakthrough in Iran Nuclear Talks as Strait of Hormuz Deal Reshapes Global Market Risk Outlook US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has confirmed
Share
Hokanews2026/05/24 17:05

No Chart Skills? Still Profit

No Chart Skills? Still ProfitNo Chart Skills? Still Profit

Copy top traders in 3s with auto trading!