INFRA PROBE. Independent Commission for Infrastructure Chairperson Andres Reyes Jr files criminal and administrative complaints against some government officialsINFRA PROBE. Independent Commission for Infrastructure Chairperson Andres Reyes Jr files criminal and administrative complaints against some government officials

Jinggoy Estrada, Manuel Bonoan barred from leaving Philippines

2026/02/16 18:50
2 min read

MANILA, Philippines – A Manila court has issued a precautionary hold departure order (PHDO) against Senator Jinggoy Estrada, former public works secretary Manuel Bonoan, and several other former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials based on a petition filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

The order issued by Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 52 Presiding Judge Juan Rañola Jr. on February 10 also applies to the following:

  • Former DPWH undersecretary Roberto Bernardo
  • Former DPWH director Gerardo Opulencia
  • Former DPWH district engineer Henry Alcantara

In issuing the order dated February 10 — and was made available on Monday, February 16 — Rañola said “there is probable cause to believe that respondents will depart from the Philippines to evade arrest and prosecution of the crimes against them.”

The court ordered the Bureau of Immigration to include the names of the respondents in the agency’s Hold Departure List.

The PHDO stemmed from the complaints filed by the National Bureau of Investigation over alleged violation of section 3(e) of Republic Act No. 3019 or Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, plunder, direct bribery, receiving gifts by public officers, and corrupt of public officers.

DOJ spokesperson Prosecutor Polo Martinez, however, clarified that the DOJ’s preliminary investigation into the said complaints are still ongoing.

Estrada has been dragged into the flood control scandal after former DPWH former assistant district engineer Brice Hernandez alleged that the senator channeled P355 million worth of projects to Hagonoy and Malolos, both in Bulacan, in 2025, with a supposed 30% “SOP” or kickback.

Must Read

ICI files complaint vs Co, Villanueva, Estrada, others

The senator, who was also previously tagged in the pork barrel scam, was also included in the Independent Commission for Infrastructure’s (ICI) recommendation to the Office of the Ombudsman as among the officials who should be held liable in the flood control scam.

Bonoan, meanwhile, was also included in an ICI recommendation to the Ombudsman for further investigation.

Alcantara, Bernardo, and Opulencia are state witnesses in the flood control corruption, as previously announced by the DOJ. – Rappler.com

Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC

Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC

The post Franklin Templeton CEO Dismisses 50bps Rate Cut Ahead FOMC appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Franklin Templeton CEO Jenny Johnson has weighed in on whether the Federal Reserve should make a 25 basis points (bps) Fed rate cut or 50 bps cut. This comes ahead of the Fed decision today at today’s FOMC meeting, with the market pricing in a 25 bps cut. Bitcoin and the broader crypto market are currently trading flat ahead of the rate cut decision. Franklin Templeton CEO Weighs In On Potential FOMC Decision In a CNBC interview, Jenny Johnson said that she expects the Fed to make a 25 bps cut today instead of a 50 bps cut. She acknowledged the jobs data, which suggested that the labor market is weakening. However, she noted that this data is backward-looking, indicating that it doesn’t show the current state of the economy. She alluded to the wage growth, which she remarked is an indication of a robust labor market. She added that retail sales are up and that consumers are still spending, despite inflation being sticky at 3%, which makes a case for why the FOMC should opt against a 50-basis-point Fed rate cut. In line with this, the Franklin Templeton CEO said that she would go with a 25 bps rate cut if she were Jerome Powell. She remarked that the Fed still has the October and December FOMC meetings to make further cuts if the incoming data warrants it. Johnson also asserted that the data show a robust economy. However, she noted that there can’t be an argument for no Fed rate cut since Powell already signaled at Jackson Hole that they were likely to lower interest rates at this meeting due to concerns over a weakening labor market. Notably, her comment comes as experts argue for both sides on why the Fed should make a 25 bps cut or…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 00:36
Why is YZi Labs trying to change the board of CEA Industries?

Why is YZi Labs trying to change the board of CEA Industries?

YZi Labs is attempting to expand the board of directors at CEA Industries Inc. in order to have more influence over the company’s operations. Shareholders are currently
Share
Cryptopolitan2026/02/17 00:40
TRX holds near $0.28 as Tron Inc. ramps up accumulation strategy

TRX holds near $0.28 as Tron Inc. ramps up accumulation strategy

Tron Inc. acquired 177,925 TRX tokens, raising total treasury holdings above 681.9 million tokens.
Share
Cryptopolitan2026/02/17 01:30