Online posts falsely claim multiple deaths were reported following the incident; Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla earlier said there were no reported casualtiesOnline posts falsely claim multiple deaths were reported following the incident; Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla earlier said there were no reported casualties

FACT CHECK: No casualties in Senate shooting, authorities say

2026/05/14 14:04
3분 읽기
이 콘텐츠에 대한 의견이나 우려 사항이 있으시면 [email protected]으로 연락주시기 바랍니다

Claim: Multiple deaths were reported after gunshots were fired in the Senate on May 13, 2026. 

Rating: FALSE

Why we fact-checked this: Multiple posts across various social media platforms have been amplifying claims of casualties following the shooting incident on Wednesday night at the Senate building, where Senator Bato dela Rosa has been holed up after the chamber gave him protection amid the issuance of an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant against him.

“Reports of multiple dead after gunfight within Senate Building, will confirm later. #BarilanSaSenado (#ShootingInSenate),” the posts said.

A TikTok video posted on May 13 has garnered over 21,700 views, 300 reactions, and 15 shares as of writing. Another video has accumulated over 16,600 views, 130 reactions, and 4 shares, while a third has reached over 79,000 views, 2,400 reactions, and 280 shares.

On Facebook, the page “Duterte Supporters” circulated the claim, with its post garnering over 740 reactions, 80 comments, and 40 shares. A video from the Facebook page “Datu Enting” has accumulated over 34,600 views, 210 reactions, and 30 comments.

These claims were widely shared following a now-deleted post by Cavite 4th District Representative Francisco “Kiko” Barzaga. 

The facts: Authorities have debunked claims that multiple deaths have been reported during the incident.

After arriving at the Senate building on Wednesday night, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla told reporters, “There were no reports of any casualties, and I am not here to arrest Senator Bato; I am here to secure the senators.”

Senate Secretary Mark Llandro Mendoza also said that no casualties were reported, while Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano told reporters that “everyone is safe” following the incident.

The shooting occurred at around 7:45 pm on Wednesday, after members of the media were told that the Senate was going on lockdown. The lockdown came hours after the Supreme Court did not provide immediate relief for Dela Rosa’s request for a temporary restraining order against the arrest warrant for crimes against humanity issued by the ICC.

The incident was triggered by a warning shot from Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mau Aplasca on a National Bureau of Investigation agent, according to Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro on Thursday morning, May 14. (READ: Timeline: Senate shooting incident)

A credible source told Rappler that Dela Rosa left the Senate premises hours after the shooting incident. (LIVE UPDATES: Senator Bato dela Rosa evades ICC arrest warrant)

Arrest evasion: Dela Rosa is the subject of an ICC warrant related to the drug war of former president Rodrigo Duterte, whom he had served as Philippine police chief.

The senator had been in hiding for over six months before resurfacing at the Senate on May 11 to support the election of Alan Peter Cayetano as Senate president, ousting Senator Tito Sotto.

Before the session, Dela Rosa claimed that he was being pursued by the National Bureau of Investigation to prevent him from casting his vote and to serve the ICC warrant.

Dela Rosa later appealed to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. not to enforce the ICC warrant, while Cayetano maintained that the Senate under his leadership would not allow the arrest of Dela Rosa.

Meanwhile, five of his fellow senators, in a resolution signed on May 12, urged Dela Rosa to surrender to “the proper authorities.” – Reinnard Balonzo/Rappler.com 

Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at [email protected]. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.

시장 기회
Checkmate 로고
Checkmate 가격(CHECK)
$0.043653
$0.043653$0.043653
-2.00%
USD
Checkmate (CHECK) 실시간 가격 차트
면책 조항: 본 사이트에 재게시된 글들은 공개 플랫폼에서 가져온 것으로 정보 제공 목적으로만 제공됩니다. 이는 반드시 MEXC의 견해를 반영하는 것은 아닙니다. 모든 권리는 원저자에게 있습니다. 제3자의 권리를 침해하는 콘텐츠가 있다고 판단될 경우, [email protected]으로 연락하여 삭제 요청을 해주시기 바랍니다. MEXC는 콘텐츠의 정확성, 완전성 또는 시의적절성에 대해 어떠한 보증도 하지 않으며, 제공된 정보에 기반하여 취해진 어떠한 조치에 대해서도 책임을 지지 않습니다. 본 콘텐츠는 금융, 법률 또는 기타 전문적인 조언을 구성하지 않으며, MEXC의 추천이나 보증으로 간주되어서는 안 됩니다.

No Chart Skills? Still Profit

No Chart Skills? Still ProfitNo Chart Skills? Still Profit

Copy top traders in 3s with auto trading!