A commercial vessel has been seized off Fujairah in the UAE and is bound for Iranian waters, according to a notice issued by UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTOA commercial vessel has been seized off Fujairah in the UAE and is bound for Iranian waters, according to a notice issued by UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO

Vessel heading for Iran after being seized off Fujairah

2026/05/14 21:52
4분 읽기
이 콘텐츠에 대한 의견이나 우려 사항이 있으시면 [email protected]으로 연락주시기 바랍니다
  • Ship taken by ‘unauthorised personnel’
  • Anchored 38 nautical miles off UAE
  • ‘The risk has not changed for shipping’

A commercial vessel has been seized off Fujairah in the UAE and is bound for Iranian waters, according to a notice issued by UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO).

The vessel was commandeered “by unauthorised personnel” while at anchor in the Gulf of Oman, 38 nautical miles off the eastern Emirati coast, the maritime body said.

UKMTO, a Royal Navy agency that acts as a liaison between military authorities and commercial shipping, said in the warning published on May 14 that the unidentified vessel was now heading towards Iranian waters.

On a weekly call held by maritime news outlet Lloyd’s List, its editor-in-chief Richard Meade said: “What that highlights to me is the fact that the risk really has not changed for shipping.”

Earlier this month, Iran established a government agency to approve ship transits and collect tolls from vessels passing through the Strait of Hormuz. The so-called Persian Gulf Strait Authority will seek to administer movements through the chokepoint that normally carries 20 percent of global oil trade.

The proposal would formalise what the shipping industry has described as a “Tehran toll booth” – an Iranian-controlled corridor in which vessels are vetted before being granted passage through the narrow waterway.

Shipping analysts told the Lloyd’s List call the crisis could have knock-on consequences far beyond Hormuz, reshaping global norms around freedom of navigation and transit rights through strategic chokepoints.

Asked about a worst-case scenario in which the strait remained mired in long-term conflict, a maritime expert warned that other states could attempt to enforce similar controls elsewhere.

Ian Ralby, chief executive of US-based maritime consultancy I.R. Consilium, said: “If there is any kind of normalisation of the ability of a state, or even a non-state actor, to legitimise restrictions on freedom of navigation, either through a strait or an entire area, we are going to potentially have copycats in other places.”

“Why should Iran be getting to receive a toll or a permit scheme? Why can’t we do that here or there? All the chokepoints – the Singapore Strait, Malacca Strait, Gibraltar Strait, Bering Strait – could see an upsurge in that kind of activity.”

The debate widened last month after Indonesia’s finance minister suggested charging ships transiting the Malacca Strait, before other ministers quickly walked back the idea.

Ralby said the episode was nonetheless significant. “We already heard statements from Indonesia indicating a potential desire to return to discussions around whether tolling in the Strait of Malacca would be acceptable,” he said. “They backed away from those claims, but that’s a worrying sign.”

Further reading:

  • How Gulf shipping insurance became the latest geopolitical battleground
  • Safety a bigger concern than insurance for Hormuz shipowners
  • Trucking gains as Gulf logistics undergoes rapid change

Intense diplomatic efforts are underway to restore commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, with the International Maritime Organization (IMO) spearheading plans to evacuate 20,000 stranded seafarers.

An IMO evacuation proposal would use an existing traffic separation scheme, jointly operated by Oman and Iran since 1968 until the conflict disrupted operations this year, to move ships and stranded crews out of the contested waterway.

IMO secretary-general Arsenio Dominguez travelled to Muscat on Monday for talks with Oman’s foreign minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi on the agency’s Hormuz evacuation framework.

“The conversations are progressing,” Dominguez said. “We are discussing how to implement the evacuation framework. The objective is to resume operations in the region as they were before the conflict started. I remain positive with the engagement that I have.”

시장 기회
폴리트레이드 로고
폴리트레이드 가격(TRADE)
$0.03795
$0.03795$0.03795
-0.39%
USD
폴리트레이드 (TRADE) 실시간 가격 차트
면책 조항: 본 사이트에 재게시된 글들은 공개 플랫폼에서 가져온 것으로 정보 제공 목적으로만 제공됩니다. 이는 반드시 MEXC의 견해를 반영하는 것은 아닙니다. 모든 권리는 원저자에게 있습니다. 제3자의 권리를 침해하는 콘텐츠가 있다고 판단될 경우, [email protected]으로 연락하여 삭제 요청을 해주시기 바랍니다. MEXC는 콘텐츠의 정확성, 완전성 또는 시의적절성에 대해 어떠한 보증도 하지 않으며, 제공된 정보에 기반하여 취해진 어떠한 조치에 대해서도 책임을 지지 않습니다. 본 콘텐츠는 금융, 법률 또는 기타 전문적인 조언을 구성하지 않으며, MEXC의 추천이나 보증으로 간주되어서는 안 됩니다.

No Chart Skills? Still Profit

No Chart Skills? Still ProfitNo Chart Skills? Still Profit

Copy top traders in 3s with auto trading!