President Donald Trump could soon suffer another stinging court loss as a major case his administration is pursuing is on "life support," according to one expert.
For almost a year, the Trump administration has tried to prosecute Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Maryland resident with temporary protected status, on charges of human trafficking. The Trump administration "mistakenly" deported Abrego Garcia in May to El Salvador, where he spent several weeks in the infamous CECOT prison. Abrego Garcia was returned to the U.S. after spending about seven months abroad, and the Trump administration has since moved to prosecute him again in Tennessee.
Michael Popok, a lawyer and host of the "Legal AF" podcast, discussed the latest developments in the case on Tuesday. He argued that the case is on "life support" and could soon be dismissed by District Judge Waverly Crenshaw in Tennessee.
"Every time the government loses, it gives Garcia's lawyers the opportunity to try to leverage and negotiate a better resolution," Popok said.
Crenshaw previously ruled in October that Abrego Garcia's lawyers established a "reasonable likelihood" that the Trump administration's criminal prosecution against him was vindictive.
Popok said it is likely that Crenshaw will toss the case out once it returns to his courtroom later this month.
"Every court that's ever looked at Garcia has said he's not a member of a gang," Popok said, referring to the Trump administration's claim that Abrego Garcia is a member of the infamous MS-13 street gang.
"He was not a narco terrorist. The people who testified against him were all corrupt themselves, trying to cut deals with the government, and couldn't be trusted," he continued.


