Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful… The post Gabon shuts down Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful… The post Gabon shuts down

Gabon shuts down social media nationwide over protest and social unrest

2026/02/18 20:21
3 min read

Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful speech and content threatening national security.

In a statement on Tuesday, the High Authority for Communication (HAC), through its spokesperson, Jean-Claude Mendome, cited the spread of false information, cyberbullying, and the unauthorised disclosure of personal data as the top reasons for the decision. It noted that online content has influenced unrest and division in the country. 

Amid the social media ban, telecom operators have been instructed to block Gabonese access to popular platforms, including WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, which have shut down activities in the Central African country.

Social Media Ban

The regulator explained that the suspension was necessary to halt the circulation of content that violates the country’s 2016 Communications Code. It added that existing content moderation controls implemented by social media platforms were inadequate.

At a time when social media access becomes pivotal to communications and economic activities, over 850,000 active social media users in Gabon are set to be affected. Data from DataReportal shows that the figure represents about 32.6% of the 2.5 million population. 

In addition, the suspension is set to disrupt the flow of information, slow online transactions and affect other related services that depend on the digital medium.

Also Read: Gabon’s military restores internet access following successful coup.

Why Gabon is shutting down social media

Gabon has been facing social unrest since General Brice Oligui Nguema won presidential elections last year after leading a military coup in 2023. Civil servants, including teachers, have been on strike over pay and working conditions.

School teachers in Gabon began striking in December 2025 over poor pay and working conditions. Similar grievances have started spreading to other public sectors, including health and education at large.

Gabon President - General Brice Oligui NguemaGeneral Brice Oligui Nguema

During last year’s poll, Nguema won with more than 90% of the vote. It comes two years after his coup ended over five decades of rule by the Bongo family. Nguema pledged to reform Gabon, where internet blackouts were used by the previous government to suppress citizens and control the spread of information.

For the first time, the 2025 polls allowed foreign and independent media to film the ballot count during the election.

Meanwhile, the latest social media ban raises renewed concerns over the use of forced digital blackout to control content moderation.

In the statement, Gabonese authorities said the move was promoted by the recurring use of social media platforms to spread conflicts and cyberbullying. Mendome tagged it as “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting content that undermines human dignity, social cohesion, the stability of the republic’s institutions, and national security“.

He added that such actions were likely to “generate social conflict and seriously jeopardise national unity, democratic progress, and achievements“. However, Mendome said freedom of expression and the choice to comment and criticise remain a fundamental human right in Gabon.

Social unrest in GabonSocial unrest in Gabon

The Central African country last suffered an internet blackout in August 2023 after the government blocked internet access and imposed a curfew in the 2023 elections, marred by voting delays.

The post Gabon shuts down social media nationwide over protest and social unrest first appeared on Technext.

Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Trump insiders privately mock 'far-fetched' plan to use luxury jet for deportations

Trump insiders privately mock 'far-fetched' plan to use luxury jet for deportations

Scandal-plagued Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem is facing yet another accusation that taxpayer dollars are helping create a lavish lifestyle for her in
Share
Alternet2026/02/19 20:55
Fed Decides On Interest Rates Today—Here’s What To Watch For

Fed Decides On Interest Rates Today—Here’s What To Watch For

The post Fed Decides On Interest Rates Today—Here’s What To Watch For appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Topline The Federal Reserve on Wednesday will conclude a two-day policymaking meeting and release a decision on whether to lower interest rates—following months of pressure and criticism from President Donald Trump—and potentially signal whether additional cuts are on the way. President Donald Trump has urged the central bank to “CUT INTEREST RATES, NOW, AND BIGGER” than they might plan to. Getty Images Key Facts The central bank is poised to cut interest rates by at least a quarter-point, down from the 4.25% to 4.5% range where they have been held since December to between 4% and 4.25%, as Wall Street has placed 100% odds of a rate cut, according to CME’s FedWatch, with higher odds (94%) on a quarter-point cut than a half-point (6%) reduction. Fed governors Christopher Waller and Michelle Bowman, both Trump appointees, voted in July for a quarter-point reduction to rates, and they may dissent again in favor of a large cut alongside Stephen Miran, Trump’s Council of Economic Advisers’ chair, who was sworn in at the meeting’s start on Tuesday. It’s unclear whether other policymakers, including Kansas City Fed President Jeffrey Schmid and St. Louis Fed President Alberto Musalem, will favor larger cuts or opt for no reduction. Fed Chair Jerome Powell said in his Jackson Hole, Wyoming, address last month the central bank would likely consider a looser monetary policy, noting the “shifting balance of risks” on the U.S. economy “may warrant adjusting our policy stance.” David Mericle, an economist for Goldman Sachs, wrote in a note the “key question” for the Fed’s meeting is whether policymakers signal “this is likely the first in a series of consecutive cuts” as the central bank is anticipated to “acknowledge the softening in the labor market,” though they may not “nod to an October cut.” Mericle said he…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 00:23
Coinbase Slams ‘Patchwork’ State Crypto Laws, Calls for Federal Preemption

Coinbase Slams ‘Patchwork’ State Crypto Laws, Calls for Federal Preemption

The post Coinbase Slams ‘Patchwork’ State Crypto Laws, Calls for Federal Preemption appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. In brief Coinbase has filed a letter with the DOJ urging federal preemption of state crypto laws, citing Oregon’s securities suit, New York’s ETH stance, and staking bans. Chief Legal Officer Paul Grewal called state actions “government run amok,” warning that patchwork enforcement “slows innovation and harms consumers.” A legal expert told Decrypt that states risk violating interstate commerce rules and due process, and DOJ support for preemption may mark a potential turning point. Coinbase has gone on the offensive against state regulators, petitioning the Department of Justice that a patchwork of lawsuits and licensing schemes is tearing America’s crypto market apart. “When Oregon can sue us for services that are legal under federal law, something’s broken,” Chief Legal Officer Paul Grewal tweeted on Tuesday. “This isn’t federalism—this is government run amok.” When Oregon can sue us for services that are legal under federal law, something’s broken. This isn’t federalism–this is government run amok. We just sent a letter to @TheJusticeDept urging federal action on crypto market structure to remedy this. 1/3 — paulgrewal.eth (@iampaulgrewal) September 16, 2025 Coinbase’s filing says that states are “expansively interpreting their securities laws in ways that undermine federal law” and violate the dormant Commerce Clause by projecting regulatory preferences beyond state borders. “The current patchwork of state laws isn’t just inefficient – it slows innovation and harms consumers” and demands “federal action on crypto market structure,” Grewal said.  States vs. Coinbase It pointed to Oregon’s securities lawsuit against the exchange, New York’s bid to classify Ethereum as a security, and cease-and-desist orders on staking as proof that rogue states are trying to resurrect the SEC’s discredited “regulation by enforcement” playbook. Oregon Attorney General Dan Rayfield sued Coinbase in April for promoting unregistered securities, and in July asked a federal judge to return the…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 11:52