(1st UPDATE) The second son of the late Queen Elizabeth has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Jeffrey Epstein(1st UPDATE) The second son of the late Queen Elizabeth has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Jeffrey Epstein

Police arrest King Charles’ brother Andrew over misconduct relating to Epstein

2026/02/19 18:13
5 min read

LONDON, United Kingdom – King Charles’ younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was, on Thursday, February 19, arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor, celebrating his 66th birthday on Thursday, was arrested and questioned by detectives from Thames Valley Police, which this month said it was looking into allegations that he had passed documents to the late convicted sex offender while working as a trade envoy.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Thames Valley’s Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

The former prince, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, who is in police custody, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship.

But he has not responded to requests for comment since the latest mass release of documents by the US government. Mountbatten-Windsor’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

He becomes the first senior royal to have been arrested in this manner, and presents his elder brother with the biggest scandal of his reign.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” King Charles said in a statement, adding the authorities had the royals’ “full and wholehearted support and cooperation.”

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Unmarked police cars

British media published pictures of six unmarked police cars and around eight plain-clothed officers who arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor now lives.

Thames Valley Police said officers were also searching a property in Berkshire, where the royal used to live on the king’s Windsor estate until he was forced out amid anger at the Epstein revelations.

While being arrested means that police have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed and that the royal is suspected of involvement in an offense, it does not imply guilt.

A conviction for misconduct in a public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and must be dealt with in a Crown Court, which only deals with the most serious criminal offenses.

In 2022, the former prince settled a civil lawsuit brought in the United States by the late Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager. The police investigation is not related to this or any other allegation of sexual impropriety.

The former prince was forced to quit all official royal duties in 2019 over his ties with Epstein and was then stripped by his older brother of his titles and honors last October amid further revelations about their relationship.

Epstein files triggered fresh complaint to police

Mountbatten-Windsor had been reported to police by the anti-monarchy campaign group Republic following the release of more than 3 million pages of documents relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.

Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had, in 2010, forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore, and other places he had visited on official trips.

Thames Valley Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have previously said that they were in discussions about the case. Police said allegations of misconduct in public office, which is a ‘Common Law’ offence and so is not covered by written statute legislation, involved “particular complexities.”

Were Mountbatten-Windsor to ultimately face criminal charges, he would join a very small group of senior British royals who have formally been accused of offenses.

His elder sister, Princess Anne, was fined for speeding in 2001, and the following year became the first royal to be convicted of a criminal offence in 350 years when she appeared in court to plead guilty to failing to stop one of her dogs, named Dotty, biting two children.

King Charles I was tried for treason in 1649, towards the end of the English Civil War, found guilty, and beheaded.

The misconduct investigation is not the only accusation against Mountbatten-Windsor into which police are looking.

Republic has also reported him over allegations he was involved in the trafficking of a woman to Britain for sex in 2010. Thames Valley Police said the force was assessing allegations that a woman had been taken to an address in Windsor, where the former prince lived until recently.

Buckingham Palace has previously said it was ready to support any police investigation, saying the king had expressed “profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.”

“Their majesties’ thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse,” the palace said.

Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown has also called for a police investigation into the extent of Epstein trafficking women without proper checks by the authorities through London’s Stansted Airport, saying this had been overlooked by previous inquiries into Mountbatten-Windsor.

Essex police said on Wednesday, February 18, it was looking into the issue. – Rappler.com

Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.
Tags:

You May Also Like

Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months

Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months

The post Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ: AMD) has been hit hard
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/19 19:51
Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto

Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto

The post Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Advertisement &nbsp &nbsp Forward Industries, the largest publicly traded Solana treasury company, has filed a $4 billion at-the-market (ATM) equity offering program with the U.S. SEC  to raise more capital for additional SOL accumulation. Forward Strategies Doubles Down On Solana Strategy In a Wednesday press release, Forward Industries revealed that the 4 billion ATM equity offering program will allow the company to issue and sell common stock via Cantor Fitzgerald under a sales agreement dated Sept. 16, 2025. Forward said proceeds will go toward “general corporate purposes,” including the pursuit of its Solana balance sheet and purchases of income-generating assets. The sales of the shares are covered by an automatic shelf registration statement filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that is already effective – meaning the shares will be tradable once they’re sold. An automatic shelf registration allows certain publicly listed companies to raise capital with flexibility swiftly.  Kyle Samani, Forward’s chairman, astutely described the ATM offering as “a flexible and efficient mechanism” to raise and deploy capital for the company’s Solana strategy and bolster its balance sheet.  Advertisement &nbsp Though the maximum amount is listed as $4 billion, the firm indicated that sales may or may not occur depending on existing market conditions. “The ATM Program enhances our ability to continue scaling that position, strengthen our balance sheet, and pursue growth initiatives in alignment with our long-term vision,” Samani said. Forward Industries kicked off its Solana treasury strategy on Sept. 8. The Wednesday S-3 form follows Forward’s $1.65 billion private investment in public equity that closed last week, led by crypto heavyweights like Galaxy Digital, Jump Crypto, and Multicoin Capital. The company started deploying that capital this week, announcing it snatched up 6.8 million SOL for approximately $1.58 billion at an average price of $232…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 03:42
World Liberty Financial Unveils Institutional RWA Token

World Liberty Financial Unveils Institutional RWA Token

World Liberty Financial (WLFI) has announced plans to launch an institutional-grade real-world asset (RWA) product, starting with a tokenized investment linked
Share
Thenewscrypto2026/02/19 17:27