South Korean prosecutors have recovered about US$21.4 million (AU$32.7 million) in Bitcoin (BTC) that was stolen from government custody last year, local media reported.
The Gwangju District Prosecutors’ Office discovered in December that Bitcoin seized from a gambling platform raid had been taken. An internal review found the theft happened in August after investigators entered wallet recovery seed phrases on a phishing site.
The electronic wallet site accessed to verify Bitcoin storage was a phishing site, and the Bitcoin is believed to have been lost during this process.
Related: Stripe-Owned Bridge Wins Conditional OCC Approval to Become National Crypto Bank
On Tuesday, the hacker sent back 320.8 BTC to a wallet controlled by prosecutors, according to sources. Prosecutors said they had blocked transactions linked to the hacker’s wallet at centralised exchanges, making it harder to cash out.
And no, the hacker has not been identified. The Bitcoin just suddenly reappeared in the wallet after six months of being missing.
The hacker appears to have returned all Bitcoin voluntarily due to concerns about being unable to liquidate it. The investigation into the circumstances of the Bitcoin loss will continue.
Authorities moved the returned Bitcoin to a local exchange for safekeeping and said they will keep trying to trace the attacker.
A separate probe recently found the Seoul Gangnam Police Station has been missing 22 BTC stored in a cold wallet since 2021. The Gyeonggi Bukbu Provincial Police Agency told The Block it has opened an internal investigation into the circumstances and whether any insiders were involved.
Related: BlackRock Seeds US$100K to Launch Yield-Bearing Staked Ethereum ETF
The post South Korean Prosecutors Recover $21M in Bitcoin After Hacker Returns Stolen Funds appeared first on Crypto News Australia.


