Kimberley – Ekapa Minerals Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley, Northern Cape, has suspended operations and intensified search and rescue operations for five missing miners.
The mine workers went missing earlier this week when a mudslide hit the mine and trapped them underground.
RELATED: Ekapa Mine Mudslide: 5 Miners Remain Trapped, NUM Calls For Urgent Rescue – The Bulrushes
Five mine workers have been trapped underground since Tuesday, 17 February 2026, on level 842, due to the mudrush.
“The immediate priority remains the intensive 24-hour rescue operation aimed at locating and bringing to safety the five mine employees who are currently unaccounted for,” the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources stated today Friday, 20 February 2026.
Mineral and Petroleum Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe, together with Northern Cape Premier, Dr. Zamani Saul, and Sol Plaatje Municipality Mayor Martha Bartlett, carried out an oversight visit to the Ekapa Minerals Joint Shaft Mine in Kimberley, Northern Cape.
During the visit, the Minister and his delegation received a comprehensive briefing from mine management and rescue personnel regarding the accident and the ongoing rescue operations.
Speaking to reporters, Minister Mantashe stated: “It would be remiss of us to speculate on the cause of the incident at this stage.
“However, we will ensure that a thorough investigation is conducted to establish all the facts surrounding the accident.
“The findings of that investigation will inform our decisions and any necessary interventions going forward.”
The minister said in line with the Mine Health and Safety Act, the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources will conduct a formal investigation to determine the exact cause of the incident.
The Chief Inspector of Mines, David Msiza, will remain on site to monitor rescue operations and support rescue efforts until the operation is concluded.
“The government commends the mining companies that have made their rescue teams available to assist in the ongoing rescue operation, as well as Minerals Council South Africa for deploying its senior team to support the rescue mission,” the department said in a statement made available to The Bulrushes.
The affected families have been notified.
“The minister and the premier have instructed mine management to ensure continual communication with the families and to provide the necessary psychosocial and logistical support during this difficult period,” the department said.
“Government’s thoughts and prayers are with the families of the affected employees as rescue efforts continue.”
- This article was originally published by The Bulrushes It is republished by TechFinancials under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Read the original article