The U.S. Commerce Department said on Thursday it’s not in talks with quantum computing companies about taking any ownership in exchange for federal money. A spokesperson told CNBC, “The Commerce Department is not currently negotiating equity stakes with quantum computing companies.” That flat-out denial came after the Wall Street Journal reported that the Trump administration […]The U.S. Commerce Department said on Thursday it’s not in talks with quantum computing companies about taking any ownership in exchange for federal money. A spokesperson told CNBC, “The Commerce Department is not currently negotiating equity stakes with quantum computing companies.” That flat-out denial came after the Wall Street Journal reported that the Trump administration […]

U.S. Commerce Department said Trump is not negotiating equity stakes with quantum computing companies like IonQ, Rigetti, or D‑Wave

2025/10/24 05:56
3 min read

The U.S. Commerce Department said on Thursday it’s not in talks with quantum computing companies about taking any ownership in exchange for federal money.

A spokesperson told CNBC, “The Commerce Department is not currently negotiating equity stakes with quantum computing companies.”

That flat-out denial came after the Wall Street Journal reported that the Trump administration had supposedly opened talks with companies like IonQ, Rigetti Computing, and D-Wave Quantum.

Despite the denial, traders didn’t wait. They hit the buy button. On Thursday, Rigetti and IonQ shares jumped 7% each. D-Wave Quantum flew even higher with a 13% gain. Quantum Computing Inc. added 5%.

No one cared whether the talks were real or not. The mere idea of Trump entering the chat was enough to move the market.

Trump took equity in Intel and MP Materials

The Trump administration has been buying stakes in companies it considers strategic. In August, the U.S. took a 10% equity stake in Intel, the top American chipmaker. It also scooped up 15% of MP Materials, a rare-earth mining company. China, meanwhile, has been tightening its grip on rare-earth exports.

This new equity strategy is not normal. Experts are saying this is the first time in decades that the U.S. government is using public funds to take ownership in private firms at this scale.

Inside the administration, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick is one of the loudest voices behind the shift. He believes that if taxpayer money is helping a company grow, the public should also get a cut of the upside.

Trump officials say it’s about keeping the U.S. secure, but also about getting something real in return.

Quantum firms pull cash but not revenue

The companies at the center of this mess (IonQ, Rigetti, D-Wave, and Quantum Computing Inc.) are racing to build a computer that can outperform today’s fastest supercomputers.

If successful, it would do insane things like solve complex equations in seconds, discover new drugs, or crack military encryption. That’s why governments are watching closely. The Pentagon has a reason to care.

But here’s the catch. So far, quantum computers don’t actually do anything useful. They’re still stuck in the research phase. There’s no real product yet. And that means almost no revenue. According to a McKinsey report, all the quantum players combined pulled in less than $750 million last year.

Still, the space is flooded with investment cash; both private and federal. And on Wednesday, Google said its quantum machine ran an algorithm over 13,000 times faster than a regular one.

Even better, a second quantum computer confirmed the result, something past studies couldn’t pull off. So the buzz is still alive, even if no one can actually use these machines for anything yet.

The market, of course, didn’t need a real product to go up. On the same day, the S&P 500 rose 0.58% to 6,738.44. The Dow Jones added 144.20 points, closing at 46,734.61. The Nasdaq jumped 0.89% to 22,941.80, helped by Nvidia, Broadcom, and Amazon. Oracle, which is also tied to AI, gained nearly 3%. The market made back all the losses from the day before, when tech names took a hit and investors dumped risk.

Claim your free seat in an exclusive crypto trading community - limited to 1,000 members.

Market Opportunity
Union Logo
Union Price(U)
$0.000912
$0.000912$0.000912
+3.87%
USD
Union (U) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact [email protected] for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.
Tags:

You May Also Like

Spur Protocol Daily Quiz 21 February 2026: Claim Free Tokens and Boost Your Crypto Wallet

Spur Protocol Daily Quiz 21 February 2026: Claim Free Tokens and Boost Your Crypto Wallet

Spur Protocol Daily Quiz February 21 2026: Today’s Correct Answer and How to Earn Free In-App Tokens The Spur Protocol Daily Quiz for February 21, 2026, is
Share
Hokanews2026/02/21 17:10
SEC Eases Stablecoin Capital Rules

SEC Eases Stablecoin Capital Rules

The post SEC Eases Stablecoin Capital Rules appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Regulations The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission introduced a major shift
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/21 17:01
Crypto phone thefts on the rise in London as thieves drain wallets

Crypto phone thefts on the rise in London as thieves drain wallets

The post Crypto phone thefts on the rise in London as thieves drain wallets appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. London sees a spike in phone snatchings targeting crypto holders, with thieves stealing phones to drain wallets. Young men aged 18 to 34 are prime targets, often hit after nights out in places like Old Street. Stolen phones expose passwords and two factor codes, but UK police struggle to track crypto thefts. London is turning into a tough spot for crypto followers with a wave of phone snatchings letting thieves raid digital wallets. According to a report by The Financial Times, earlier this month, a 42 year old guy named Christian D’Ippolito lost almost £40,000 in crypto after four men grabbed his phone near Old Street roundabout on his way home from a night out. They drained his wallet in hours. Rising Street Smarts Behind Crypto Heists This kind of hit is not rare anymore. The London Metropolitan Police report a big jump in street thefts of phones from crypto holders, especially around Old Street and Brixton. Thieves grab the devices to break into wallets and swipe thousands of pounds worth of assets. Young people aged 18 to 34 make up the main targets, with one in four owning crypto and guys most at risk. Thieves spot young men coming back from evenings out, chat them up casually, then snag the phone. They dodge locks, reset Apple IDs, or use crypto apps to move the cash fast. Neil Kotak, another victim, lost £10,000 that way. He said the guys seemed friendly, asked for his number, and grabbed the phone when he logged in. Our heavy use of phones for everything amps up the danger. An open device spills emails, passwords, two factor codes, and even passport pics, handing thieves the keys to your digital life. Crypto moves can be traced, but most crooks get off scot free. UK cops often…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/21 10:57