The State Security Service has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai after he admitted on live television that he listened to phone conversations of National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu through someone who tapped the security chief’s phone.
El-Rufai faces three counts under the Cybercrime Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. The charges stem from statements he made during an interview on ARISE TV on February 13, where he revealed that he and others had access to recordings of Ribadu’s phone calls.
The former governor said someone tapped Ribadu’s phone and shared the recordings with him, allowing him to hear the NSA ordering security agencies to detain him.
When the TV presenter pointed out that tapping the NSA’s phone was illegal, El-Rufai replied: “I know, but the government does it all the time; they listen to our calls all the time without a court order.”
The first charge accuses El-Rufai of unlawfully intercepting Ribadu’s phone communications by admitting on television that he and others listened to the NSA’s calls. The second charge says he failed to report the person who actually did the tapping to security agencies, which the law requires.
The third charge alleges he compromised public safety and national security by using technical equipment to intercept official communications.
All three charges carry serious penalties under Nigerian law. Intercepting phone communications without authorization can result in several years in prison, and doing it to a national security official makes it worse. The fact that El-Rufai openly admitted this on national television gave prosecutors everything they needed to file charges immediately.
The Office of the National Security Adviser directed the SSS to investigate El-Rufai’s comments right after the interview aired. Within days, formal charges were filed, showing how quickly the government moved once El-Rufai essentially incriminated himself on live TV.
El-Rufai is facing scrutiny from multiple agencies right now. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission, and the State Security Service are all looking into various aspects of his time as governor and his recent activities.
The former governor confirmed last week that he’s scheduled to meet with ICPC operatives this week, following a Monday meeting with the EFCC. The phone-tapping admission came in the middle of these investigations, adding another layer of legal trouble.
What makes this case unusual is that El-Rufai revealed the information himself. Most cybercrime cases require extensive investigation to prove that someone accessed communications illegally. Here, the defendant went on television and described exactly what happened, who was involved, and why they did it.
El-Rufai’s defense appears to be that the government routinely taps phones without court orders, so his side doing it isn’t any different.
Similar read: Sowore now faces FG cyberbullying charge alone as Meta and X exit case
The post SSS charges El-Rufai with cybercrime for tapping NSA Nuhu Ribadu’s phone first appeared on Technext.


